Monday, December 27, 2010

Cardiff star Bellamy gives up captaincy of Wales

Wales star Craig Bellamy will relinquish the role of national team captain because of ongoing injury concerns.
Bellamy, 31, has battled consistent knee problems and said although he is committed to playing for his country, he will not be able to play every game.
“Being captain is a great honour, but it’s not the reason why I turn up for Wales,” Bellamy said.
“I’ve always said that I’ll never retire (from Wales duty) but I have to be clever over which games I play and which I don’t.”
“I’m not going to be able to play every game, it’s impossible.”
Bellamy says he has told new Wales boss Gary Speed about his decision and declared his intent to play for his new manager.
“I’ve made Gary aware of my decision. I feel, with the young squad we have, it would be best (to give up the captaincy). I will get right behind the next person who does it,” he said.
“I told (former manager John Toshack who made Bellamy skipper) that he would be better giving the armband to someone who will be there week-in, week-out.”
“I watched (Speed as national captain) turn up every game and lead from the front … he’s a person I trust completely.”
“He’s an incredible appointment (as manager). I admired him so much as a player, I was privileged to play with him. It was impossible not to be impressed as a youngster coming through.”
Bellamy also criticised the way in which Toshack got Wales to play, and said he was looking forward to a different approach towards the game under Speed.
“Wales need an identity, at the moment we haven’t got one,” he said.
“We’re very easy to play against. I’m not blaming Toshack – he wanted to play counter-attacking football, but it’s not in our mentality.”
“We’re hard workers, so why not get at (the opposition)? I’d never felt so disheartened after games (under Toshack) because we weren’t able to have a go. I don’t think that the players were good enough (to play Toshack’s way).”
“(Under Speed) we’re going to train with intensity and play with intensity – that hasn’t been the case for the last six or seven years.”
“Our players aren’t made that way and our crowds aren’t made that way – that’s why (the fans) never turned up. Teams must have loved playing against us in the last couple of years.”

No comments:

Post a Comment